Review: Rimmel Sun Shimmer Self Tan

11:34 PM


Ok, so I'm a huge self tan junkie! I love a good tan, but I just cannot get a natural one, I become a walking, talking lobster (who is in a lot of pain might I add), so for me a good fake tan is the way to go.
I don't mean to brag but I consider myself pretty much a self tan guru, I've tried so many and have had plenty of hits but even more misses. A good fake tan is hard to come b, you don't want one that is too orangey so it looks like you've just rolled around in Dorito dust but you also don't want one that is too ashy so it looks like you've just done a yearly clean of your fireplace, it's very much a trial and error process.

On top of being a self proclaimed self tan guru, I'm also a bit of a tight ass and hate forking out loads of cash on such small products (*cough cough* St. Tropez). This tan is so affordable that you kinda forget about the cons.

A little bit about my skin tone before we get into the review, I have an extremely pink/red undertone, my skin is fairly sensitive (especially my face) and I also have Keratosis Pilaris (google it haha).



Now, time for the review. First off, this tan is actually really good, which I was actually surprised with. not that I have anything against Rimmel, they actually make some of my favourite products, but I was very skeptical about them succeeding in the tricky formula of self tanner.

I use the 'Dark Matte Mousse' and it is just that, a fairly dark (not the darkest I've used), it is matte and well, it's a mousse, so two thumbs up already for actually getting the name right.

The mousse applied really smoothly and evenly and blends nicely with a good quality glove (I use this one). It has just the right amount of ashiness and works really well with my pink undertones.



One of the biggest things I hate about self tanners is the smell, it's revolting, but honestly, I love the smell of this tan (it smells like baby wipes). Another con of fake tanning is the awkward drying stage where you can't sit down on anything and you have to hold you arms at a weird angle beside you. I dunno about you but I really don't wanna be wandering around feeling like I'm covered in sticky brown shit (not literally haha) for the whole night. The bottle of this tan claims that it dries in 2 minutes, honestly, it's not the great but shit this stuff dries quick! nothing more than 10-15 mins and it's dry, completely. Well, you're not gonna go chuck on your favourite white dress but you can sit down and not stress you're ruining the furniture, so this is a huge plus for me!

Something that isnt so amazing about the self tanner is the lasting  power, the bottle claims 7 days wear, and honestly, it's nothing close to that. With a good application if was lucky I would get 4 days wear, no amount of after care would make this tan last 7 days. This can be quite annoying as I don't want to be scrubbing it off and applying a fresh coat every four days. As for how well this tan fades, it's a bit of mixed review, there were some applications where it would fade amazingly and remove perfectly and others it was a fucking nightmare and I would skip the gym that day cause I'd scrubbed so bloody hard to get that tan off.



So all in all, this tan is pretty good, especially for it's price! It does a good job and I will continue to use it but is it amazing and life changing? No. But I haven't found a tan that is haha.



  • Where to buy: Priceline, Direct Chemist Outlet, My Chemist, Big W etc.
  • Price Range: $13-$17 (Direct Chemist is the cheapest I've found.
  • Shade Range: 3 Shades (Light, Medium, Dark)
  • Drying Time: 8/10
  • Devoloped Colour: 7/10
  • Lasting Time: 4/10
  • Scent: 9/10
  • Overall Rating: 7.5/10
I hope this helps and you decide to give it a go, please let me know if you do in the comments below, I'd love to hear your opinions and thoughts too! 

Thank you for reading and I love you already haha!

Talk soon, MelbourneBelle. xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts